Monday, May 31, 2010

Movie Review - Prince of Persia


I am a fan of this fantasy fiction genre. Though, I haven't played the PoP game, I have heard that it is quite the rage. So, it is without much expectations that I went to see the movie with my friends. Now, while the movie doesn't exactly blow you away like Dark Knight; it is still worth for one time watch on a hall and keeping a DVDrip with you just so you can watch it on your lappy whenever you want.

Though, the best thing about the movie is not the amazing landscaping, superb detailing or the special effects. It is the actors themselves. Actually two characters: First is the hero (Jake Gyllenhaal as Prince Dastan) which portrays the role of a sarcastic joker with deadly "kung fu"ish skills with panache, and the second is a villain-turned-friend trader (Alfred Molina as Sheik Amar) who believes in free trade, in government conspiracy killings, and in no taxes to the government. These two, provide a sort of comic relief in a superbly directed movie. Ben Kingsley was good in his role of King's brother and Gemma Arterton as Princess Tamina was passable.

Again, since I was not familiar with the plot; the ending was surprising and well executed as well.

And contrary to what I was expecting, with this movie being an adaptation of the movie, it turned out to be pretty well done. I do not care what the sophisticated critics may say about the movie... I liked it... My friends liked it and if you are looking for fun two hours, good special effects, and some witty sarcastic humor on modern capitalistic humor (and respite from scorching heat too); then this week, PoP is the movie for you; especially since Kites ki dor toh audience ne kaat hi di hai. (Kites has turned out to be a miserable failure that it is).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger